Monday, November 26, 2012

Black Bean Veggie Patties

I was dreaming of Kerbey Lane in Austin. It is one of the most memorable Diner style meal I've had, and better yet it was vegan. It is almost impossible to get a table most mornings and not wait more that an hour for it, and so well worth it once your'e seated and you get to order the vegan breakfast platter with a vegan pumpkin pancake which I highly recommend. Not everything there is vegan, and it is very popular for both vegan and non vegans, but they have an amazingly tasty vegan menu. Everything I have had there has been so good.
That brings me to todays post. I wanted to make a black bean sausage patty. And it turned out really good. In trying to avoid soy, wheat, and processed foods, that cuts out many vegan patties you can buy at the store. These taste 10 times better than most of those and they are pretty easy to make. I always try to have brown rice, and some sort of bean (I usually alternate between black, pinto, great northern and Cannellini) cooked up in the fridge for quick and nutritious meals, so I made sure I had some black beans on hand. I dont really like canned, and once you start cooking your own you will feel the same way. The taste is incomparable.

In the blender I threw in: 
1 carrot
1 tomato
1 stalk celery
1 green bell pepper
1/4 cup diced red or yellow onion
2 tbsp red chili
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, or a few cloves fresh garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp yellow curry powder 
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup black beans
3/4 cup brown rice

Blend on low to med so it is still a little chunky.

Then in separate bowl add:
3/4 brown rice
1 cup black beans
3 sprigs chopped green onions
1 cooked potato mashed
1 cooked sweet potato mashed
2 Tbsp Flax seeds
1 cup brown rice flour (add more if mixture is too loose)

Stir together with the mixture from the blender.




Form into patties to order. This makes a good amount so we've been eating them for breakfasts with toast and eggs, lunches, my husband eats them as a taco since he is off of wheat. I think with the next batch I will make them all up and freeze them.

No comments:

Post a Comment