Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Gutter Garden DIY



Gutter gardens are a good idea if you are limited to space. It is good to keep it for smaller greens and herbs since there is limited root space. They also take less water and soil. Be sure the space you are planting has adequate sunlight. My space could use a little more, but I am planting herbs that will do fine there. 

This was a very easy project, and took few tools. What you will need:

*A galvanized gutter, these are $6 for 10 feet at Home Depot. I just saw that there are also 5 inch gutters, might be better for root space for $9 ea. I used the 4 inch.

*the gutter end caps (2 for each gutter).

*Wire.

*A Hammer

*A Nail

*Organic soil


Use the nail to punch your holes. I punched 3 holes on the bottom for drainage, one on each end and one in the center, or, about one every 3 feet.  



 Then for hanging the gutter to the chain link fence, I punched 3 sets of two holes, on the ends and one set in the center. The wire will loop through the holes and then attach to the chain link fence.




Pop the ends on both sides.

Voila!

Add soil. I also added chicken wire because the birds were digging up the seed and and the sprouts.


Please email pictures or comment if you have a gutter garden that has been successful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment