Thursday, August 23, 2012

GARDEN THYME (corny I know ;) )


In the heat of August things could be looking better. Those pesky squash bugs are destroying my pumpkin vines. I've been reading up on natural ways to get rid of them. Neem oil is one of them and I've sprayed the vines heavily with the 1/2 tsp to 1 qt mixture 3 times in the last 4 days and they're still in there. I'm finding tons of bugs, eggs,  and babies. I also read to plant marigolds all around. There is a natural chemical the flowers and roots produce that the bugs don't like, plus they're pretty, attract pollinators, and are edible. When I went to the Nursary they said I can't plant those for another three weeks until it cools down. I guess I'll just keep squashing and spraying till then.  I also read garlic chives and nasturtium's will keep squash bugs away. I will keep that in mind for next time and look heavily into combination or companion gardening.



Squash bugs. They have been squashed!
Squash bug eggs.


My watermelon is covered, but some of the leaves are yellowing. I haven't figured out why yet.






No comments:

Post a Comment